New in Tableau 6.1
- Incremental Data updates scheduled or on demand
- Text parser faster, can parse any text files as data source (no 4GB limit)
- Files larger than 2GB can now be published to Tableau Server (more "big data" support)
- Impersonation for SQL Server and Teradata; 4 times faster Teradata reading
- Tableau Server auto-enables touch, pinch, zoom, gesture UI for Data Views
- Tableau iPad app is released, it browses and filters a content on Server
- Any Tableau Client sees Server-Published View: web browser, mobile Safari, iPad
- Server enforces the same (data and user) security on desktop, browser, iPad
- Straight links from an image on a dashboard, Control of Legend Layout etc.
Here is a Quick demo of how to create Data Visualization with Tableau 6.1 Desktop, how easy to publish it on Tableau server 6.1 and how it is instantly visible, accessible and touch optimized on the iPad:
New since Tableau 6.0, more then 60 features, including:
- Tableau now has in-memory Data Engine, which greatly improves I/O speed
- Support for "big" data
- Data blending from multiple sources
- Unique support for local PowerPivot Multidimensional Cubes as Data Source
- Support for Azure Datamarket and OData (Open Data Protocol) as Data Sources
- Support for parameters in Calculations
- Motion Charts and Traces (Mark History)
- In average 8 times faster of rendering of Data Views (compare with previous version)
Tableau Product Family
- Desktop: Personal ($999), Professional ($1999), Digital, Public.
- Server: Standard, Core Edition, Digital, Public Edition.
- Free Client: Web Browser, Desktop/Offline Tableau Reader.
- Free Tableau Reader enables Server-less distribution of Visualizations!
- Free Tableau Public served 20+ millions visitors since inception
- Easy to install: 13 minutes + optional 10 minutes for firewall configuration
- Tableau has useful command line tools for administration and remote management
- Scalability: Tableau Server can run (while load balancing) on multiple machines
- Straightforward licensing for Standard Server (min 10 users, $1000/user)
- With Core Edition Server License: unlimited number of users, no need for User Login
- Digital Server Licensing based on impressions/month, allows unlimited data, Tableau-hosted.
- Public Server License: Free, limited (100000 rows from flat files) data, hosted by Tableau.
Widest (and Tableau optimized) Native Support for data sources
- Microsoft SSAS and PowerPivot: Excel Add-in for PowerPivot, native SSAS support
- Native support for Microsoft SQL Server, Access, Excel, Azure Marketplace DataMarket
- Other Enterprise DBMSes: Oracle, IBM DB2, Oracle Essbase
- Analytical DBMSes: Vertica, Sybase IQ, ParAccel, Teradata, Aster Data nCluster
- Database appliances: EMC/GreenPlum, IBM/Netezza
- Many Popular Data Sources: MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird, ODBC, OData, Text files etc.
Some old problems I still have with Tableau
- No MDI support in Dashboards, all charts share the same window and paint area
- Wrong User Interface (compare with Qlikview UI) for Drilldown Functionality
- Tableau's approach to Partners is from stone ages
- Tableau is 2 generations behind Spotfire in terms of API, Modeling and Analytics